Our February monthly meeting was held over Zoom. Some notes from the discussions:
- The Christmas lunch was a great success – Acton’s worked out very well as a venue, and the food was very good. Cliona has submitted a report to the magazine.
- Forthcoming trip to Derry – a number of people have committed to going. It’s important to us to support the JDC in the north, and of course it’s good to see the three clubs coming together. For those travelling via Dublin, arrangements are to meet just north of Dublin airport at the Applegreen service statement (at Lusk). Around 40 cars are going in total, and the hotel is fully booked. We’ll have another monthly meeting before the trip, so there will be more discussion about plans then. The last trip to Derry was very interesting, with a visit to the Guild Hall and a tour of the city walls.
- The current arrangement for monthly meetings is to alternate between in-person and Zoom meetings, and the consensus was to continue with that, and to continue with the Kingsley as the venue for in-person meetings.
- Anton took the floor to outline his progress on planning events following the discussions at the AGM:
- Anton started with thanks to Michael Mullins for his work in organising many successful events over the last few years
- Saturday 1st April was proposed as the date for a trip to Bunratty, and this proposal was supported by the meeting attendees.
- 28-30th April – National weekend
- 27-28th May – Youghal: the plan is to do the run on Saturday, and meet ourselves for a meal on Saturday night. Some members may choose to stay on for the static part of the event on Sunday
- The Gordon Bennett event takes place on the June Bank Holiday weekend, and some members may attend. Note an entry fee of €139 per car applies, and that includes Saturday dinner for driver. For more details see www.gordonbennettclassic.ie
- 25th June a possible proposed event: NCBI Vintage and Classic Car Show. This was held in St. Columba’s College, Dublin last year. Anton is also looking at other options, including a trip to Kilkenny.
- July 8-9th WWETB Car Show, in Waterford.
- 1-3rd Sep – an overnight event, location and further details to be decided.
- Our new committee members were welcomed: David and Anton.
- There was a discussion on car batteries. The advice to not charge car batteries overnight because of a real risk of fire. It is also a good idea to disconnect the battery when the car is parked up. Members have experienced leakage of current over time when their car was parked up and everything switched off.
- The topic of spark plugs arose. Ken Jenkins recommends only using NGK spark plugs in our cars, as other brands suffer from quality problems.
You must be logged in to post a comment.