We met for lunch at Actons Hotel Kinsale on 22nd January 2023, and that was followed by our AGM. Attended by over 30 people, the 2-course lunch was delicious and contributions to the meeting were lively and constructive.
- Our chairman (John Sheehan) opened the meeting with a tribute to the late Graham Searle who passed away recently. Founding member and former General Manager of the Jaguar Enthusiasts’ Club, Graham was a leading light of the Jaguar community who will be sadly missed by all who knew him.
- JEC headquarters in the UK is actively working to provide more support to the regions, through the Region Websites, Regional Resource Hub, and International Regions Forum.
- The chairman read from his report:
- Our first event in 2022 was much later than usual as a result of the Covid 19 infection. It was on April 6th in The Garryvoe Hotel, East Cork where we enjoyed meeting up for lunch and this was followed by our AGM.
- Our next event was the Classic Wheels Ireland event in Youghal on the 21st and 22nd August which was a drive on the Saturday through Co. Cork and Co. Waterford stopping at Villiarstown and Lismore before returning to Youghal later that day. The following day a static display of cars took place.
- On the 3rd to 5th September we made our annual trip to Ballylickey where we were again favoured with good weather on both days. Michael again brought us on a lovely scenic drive on the Saturday to Schull via Durrus stopping at Crookhaven and continuing on to Schull for lunch and a walk around the town. It was then back to the Seaview House Hotel for dinner.
- Throughout the year we continued with our now normal monthly meetings by Zoom, this was a great way of all of us keeping in touch. With little to discuss by way of events we showed some short Jaguar video clips which went down well.
- I am pleased to report that we are now back to our face to face meetings with the first having taken place on 30th November at the Kingsley Hotel, Cork where we had a great attendance and a very productive meeting.
- Thanks to everyone for staying with us during those difficult times. We look forward to getting back to normal and out with our cars and meeting up.
- The plan for future monthly meetings is to alternate between Zoom and in-person, with in-person meetings taking place in the Kingsley Hotel.
- Nine monthly meetings were held in 2022, including eight virtual meetings over Zoom and one in-person meeting (with virtual attendance accommodated).
- The last meeting of the year was the in-person meeting, taking place back in our old venue of the Kingsley Hotel, and there was a very good turnout for it.
- We had three club events – the AGM / lunch in Garryvoe in April, attending the Youghal Car Show in May, and the weekend event in Ballylickey in September.
- On a technical note, there is a plan to migrate our regional website, currently hosted on wordpress.com, to the infrastructure provided by JEC headquarters in the UK. This should reduce expense and administrative overhead, and improve usability.
- 21 JEC members fully paid up with regional membership.
- Income for the year was solely from regional membership, outgoings were minimal (meeting expenses and bank charges). Bank statements were available at the AGM for inspection by members.
- The club account is in the black, with more than enough to cover insurance (as discussed at monthly meetings) and costs associated with taking a stand at the Irish Classic and Vintage Car Show if that happens in 2023.
- A difficulty has arisen in obtaining insurance cover for the club. A fallout of Brexit is that there are fewer providers of public liability and personal accident insurance. Discussions will continue with brokers and providers in the coming months.
Election of officers:
- Chairman: John Sheehan, proposed by John O’D, seconded by Val.
- Secretary/IT: Jonathan Sherwin, proposed by Leo, seconded by Paddy.
- Treasurer: John O’Driscoll, proposed by Bernie, seconded by Pat O’B.
- Events: Anton Tams, proposed by John Sh, seconded by Michael.
- PR: Eoin and Cliona Murphy, proposed by John O’D, seconded by John Sh.
- Technical: David O’Brien, proposed by Larry, seconded by Jonathan.
Preliminary Calendar of Events (to be confirmed by the committee):
- 29-30 April – National Jaguar Weekend, trip to Derry with IJDC/JEC NI/JDC NI/JEC Ireland.
- 27-28 May – Youghal run and car show (Classic Wheels Ireland Vintage Classic Car and Bike Event)
- 10 June – Day run to Bunratty
- 9 July – Terenure car show (29th Irish Classic & Vintage Motor Show) (this date is a placeholder as we are not certain that the event will go ahead)
- ?? July – WWETB Classic Car Restoration Exhibition and Classic Car Show in Waterford (tentative event, to be confirmed)
- 13 August – Car Show at Corrin Mart, near Fermoy (members may attend)
- 2-3 September – Overnight event in Ballylickey / Dingle / Galway, with IJDC members invited.
- ?? September – Trip to Wales with IJDC (members may attend)
We are delighted to welcome Anton as events organiser and David as our technical advisor. I know they will be a major addition to our committee.
It is proposed that the committee will meet before the next monthly meeting in February to refine the 2023 Calendar of Events.
You must be logged in to post a comment.