We met on a bright, sunny April Sunday at the Garryvoe Hotel for lunch, which was then followed by our AGM. We had an impressive turnout of members, although a significant number of our stalwarts were unable to attend due to Covid illness. Our thoughts are with you, and we hope you make a speedy and full recovery!
Garryvoe beach was busy with day-trippers, and it was great to see the hotel operating again as it normally would have before the pandemic. They gave us the usual function room, the food was as good as always, and the company excellent.
After teas and coffees, our chairman, John Sheehan, stood to start the business of the AGM. Having relayed regrets from the members who were unable to attend, he called on the secretary, Jonathan Sherwin, to address the meeting, followed by the treasurer, John O’Driscoll, and after the chairman’s own report the meeting wrapped up with the election of officers.
- We managed to meet in person for two events in 2021 – Doneraile Park in June, and Ballylickey in September. Both events were very successful, and we expect to return to both venues in the future.
- We had hoped to move back to in-person monthly meetings during the year, however the mutating virus and waves of infection meant it was safer to stick to Zoom. In fairness, Zoom has worked very well for us – nobody had to make long trips in the dark of winter to make it to the meetings. But we aim to return to in-person meetings as soon as it is prudent to do so.
- As a region, we have money in the club bank account.
- Sole income has been from membership dues, and there have been no outgoings. The Terenure Car Show was typically our largest expense, and that did not take place in 2021.
- In relation to in-person meetings, the treasurer noted that we should discuss a change of venue before making the move from Zoom.
- The region will need our own insurance due to Brexit. This was mentioned at last year’s meeting, and we have had some quotes but not signed up to anything yet. There is still some cover from the umbrella club’s insurance, but not enough to meet our needs.
- The Seaview House Hotel has been provisionally booked for the weekend of the 2nd-4th September, and we’re thinking a drive on the Sheep’s Head would make it an event to look forward to.
- The Terenure Car Show will not take place this year again, because there was insufficient time for the IJDC to organise it.
- Members have expressed interest in attending the Youghal run and car show this year.
- There has been a suggestion of an event in July, maybe with an overnight stay. Kilkenny was mentioned as a possible destination, since we haven’t been there for a while.
- The officers will take the suggestions and draw up a calendar of events to be discussed at a monthly meeting.
Election of officers, results:
- Chairman: John Sheehan – proposed by John (O’D), seconded by Jonathan
- Secretary / IT: Jonathan Sherwin – proposed by John (Sh), seconded by Philip
- Treasurer / PR: John O’Driscoll – proposed by Ros, seconded by Pat (G)
- Events Organisers: Michael Mullins – proposed by John (O’D), seconded by John (Sh)
- Technical Advice / Support: Larry Mohally, Leo O’Sullivan – proposed by Jonathan, seconded by Pat (O’B)