Windsor Trip Report

Royal Windsor Jaguar Festival

May 2017

Our club was well represented at what was the largest collection of Jaguar/Daimler cars, approximately 1200 cars assembled at Windsor Castle and 6 cars from our region took part. On Thursday 4th May myself, Miriam, Michael & Mary, Val & Marian and Rodney & Frances met at the Supervalu car park in Rosslare at 7.45am and boarded the ferry to Fishguard/Pembroke. After a pleasant sailing we disembarked and drove through Wales. We had a long delay crossing the Severn Bridge due to an accident so arrived later than planned at our first stop in Bradford on Avon where we met up with Larry & Bernie in their XK120 FHC, they had travelled earlier in the week. After checking in we took taxis into Bath where we enjoyed a lovely evening in an Italian restaurant. Following dinner we too a short walk around the city of Bath returning to our accommodation by taxi.

Friday morning we set off led by Rodney in his wonderful XJSC as far as Chipenham services where we re-fuelled and then continued on to our venue, the De Vere Beaumont Estate in Old Windsor. This was formally a Jesuit College and school now extensively re-furbished and extended. As check in was not until 3pm we took the bus into Windsor and had some lunch. There was a dinner in the hotel on Friday evening to enable participants and members to meet. We met up with Barry & Margaret who had come to join us with his XJS.

On Saturday morning we left at 8.30am and drove the 2 miles to Windsor Castle where the cars were on display for the day. There were 860 cars parked on the long walk and a further 250 in the parade area. At 11am the parade cars drove into Windsor Castle and through the town. There were cars as early as John Gallon’s 1929 Austin Swallow and as new as our member Val’s Silver F-Type with the red soft top. The parade included a C type 1952, a D type 1954, E type 1961 and a car familiar to us the XJ13 which we had at the Terenure show.

At about 4pm we returned to the hotel and got ready for the evening festival which was taking place at Windsor Racecourse. Dinner was held in the Riverbank Marquee where we had our own table and an opportunity to meet up with some acquaintances from previous trips abroad. The festivities ended at about 10pm.

The following morning Michael & Mary headed back to Fishguard in their Blue Series 111 E type and Val & Marian went off to France to continue their holiday. Rodney & Frances went to visit family.

We stayed on a few more days and spent the last night in Llanelli in Wales meeting up with Rodney & Frances when we all travelled back to Rosslare the following day. A great week which we all enjoyed very much.

John F Sheehan